October 19, 2014

The Church: Being the hands and feet or sitting in the seat?

Sunday morning has come and gone for now. Don't worry, though. You'll get another opportunity next week. Chances are that seat is really comfortable. It's likely right in the middle of your comfort zone. No pressure. No work. No hassle. Just come and enjoy the show for a little while.

No doubt that is the definition of Christianity for some.
While I'm thankful that those of you who hold to that view are at least hearing the Word preached, I want to challenge you to broaden that perspective.

I'm churchy, man. I'm more churchy than Noah was arky. But if Sunday morning is the central focus, what happens in my church Monday thru Saturday? Does it cease to exist as a force? If the Church is a living, breathing organism, what happens when the lights are out and the alarm is armed?

From a Kingdom perspective, the church building is just the rallying point. It's the hub where you get energized to be the Church, not the destination where you merely have church.

In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul said "Ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular." Surely that was only for the leadership though, right? The pastor should be doing all that stuff while the rest of us spare parts count down the days from Sunday to Sunday. Not even hardly.

Think about what Christ did in His earthly ministry. He ministered to the poor. He mended the brokenhearted. He set captive people free. He healed. He saved. He delivered. He preached good news. And nowhere in the Gospels does Jesus tell His followers that all that stuff should stop as soon as He leaves.

As a matter of fact, John records Jesus saying, "He who believes in me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do (John 14:12 NKJV)."

The only qualifying statement Jesus made about who would do these works was "whoever believes in me." He didn't say, "Only those who go through seminary" or "those who lead churches". That covers everyone who believes, from the pew-warmer to the pastor, and from the church-goer to the choir leader. Jesus was talking about the Church.

The Church has the hands that serve the community. It has the feet that carry the Gospel and the eyes that burn with passion for souls. That is the Church–the body of Christ.
I know it's easier to sit in the Sunday seat inside the building we call "church". And it's certainly more comfortable.

Being the hands and feet of Jesus is what we are called to. Let's get busy being what we're supposed to be–the Church.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About me



I'm Joel A. Barker - I'm a worship pastor and soon-to-be church planter. The Church is my passion. This site is the home base for my ministry, featuring thoughts on all things worship, devotion, and the Kingdom. Kick back and stay a while.

Like my Facebook page