April 14, 2013

Worship Experience: Reflections from April 14

Sunday Morning Reflections

Ah, Hymns of the Spirit. When the old regular red back won't do, there's always Hymns of the Spirit. I have fond memories of singing from the songbook, which coincidentally is also red. I have seen the book in green as well, but I digress.

My memories of Hymns of the Spirit come from our time at the Boynton Church of God over two decades ago. I was young, quite young in fact, but when I hear songs like "I'm Glad He Lifted Me Out" and the classic "I'd Tell the World" my mind automatically shoots back to the early 90's when we'd sing those songs over and over and over again.

When I heard my mom singing "Come and Dine" this morning as Sunday School was dismissed (Yes, we still have Sunday School. And don't judge. Sunday School is only a slightly less hip way of saying 'Small Groups'.), I just had to ask her to lead it as our first song of the morning.

Despite the blank stares from many members of the praise team who couldn't quite recollect the song from deep inside their inner hymnal memory vault, we sang the song to a fairly good response.

I felt the spirit in the song and I thought it was the perfect opener for a Sunday morning.

Sunday Morning Set-List

  • Come & Dine

  • Promises One by One

  • Can't Nobody

  • Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone)


 

Sunday Evening Reflections

As a member of the Church of God, I've had to refrain from learning, partaking in, or otherwise orchestrating non-spirit-led choreographic routines in our worship services. That is, until we learned Deep Cries Out by Bethel Worship.

Granted, there's not a ton of choreography that goes with the song, but we move to the left and move to the right a few times in the song. Not quite Electric Shuffle level, but close.

Truth is, I love the song. Our young people love the song. And I'm pretty sure the worship team loves the song. So, we do the song.

We learned a new song in practice as well. "We Give You Glory, Glory" by Bryn Waddell went over really well during the service. The band and I sang this song as a special because we haven't practiced it with the vocalists yet. Needless to say, I cannot wait till this one is ready to sing in worship.

http://vimeo.com/36834913

Sunday Evening Set-List

  • Friend of God

  • Deep Cries Out

  • Heaven on Earth


 

Worship leaders, how was your worship experience Sunday? Have you learned anything new recently? Do you do hymns anymore? Have any recollections of past hymns and worship services? Come on and share in the comments. I'd love to hear from you!

 

2 comments:

  1. Yea, wife included in the "...blank stares from many members of the praise team who couldn’t quite recollect the song from deep inside their inner hymnal memory vault"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! So, yes, you were included that statement. It's okay though. You weren't alone.

    ReplyDelete

About me



I'm Joel A. Barker - I'm a worship pastor and soon-to-be church planter. The Church is my passion. This site is the home base for my ministry, featuring thoughts on all things worship, devotion, and the Kingdom. Kick back and stay a while.

Like my Facebook page