April 22, 2013

Worship Experience: Reflections from April 21

I'm a little late getting to this post, but Sunday was an especially draining day physically and we just started revival at the church. Life happens. Ministry happens. And blog posts get pushed back. It's not the end of the world.

Here's this week's Worship Experience!

Sunday Morning Reflections

I need to learn more hymns. Well, it's not that I need to "learn" them per se, I just need to practice, update, and actually sing more of the hymns that I know.

I lead two hymns and I alternate them two every other week. Victory in Jesus (page 120) and We Shall See the King (page 120) are very good songs and we do them well, but I'd really like to mix it up a bit more every now and again.

I love to do hymns in a traditional style, but I'd really love to modernize some hymns and do them on a regular basis.

Worship leaders, how have you done this? How do you stay respectful to the song that many generations grew up singing while updating it to fit the modern mold? I'd love to hear some incite.

Sunday Morning Setlist

  • We Shall See the King

  • Counting on God

  • Let it Rise

  • There is a River


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qQos4iEyAo

(Disclaimer: The use of this clip does not in any way equal an endorsement of this ministry. It was the only usable clip of this song and you've gotta admit the spanish subtitles are wicked awesome.)  

 

Sunday Evening Reflections

I knew Break Every Chain was going to be a powerful song for our church in this season when we learned it last year.  The song and the anointing on it in this season has been nothing short of amazing at our church.

As a singer, I know my limitations. I know how high and how creative I can be with my voice under normal circumstances. But "normal circumstances" are out the door when it comes to singing under the anointing. And singing this song under the anointing is a rush physically and spiritually.

I feel the anointing more often than not on stage, but there are times, mainly when my physical body is tired or stressed, that it's much more difficult to get into that anointed flow. Sunday night was not one of those times, even though I was quite tired physically.

During the song, I felt a strong unction that God was breaking chains of intimidation off of someone in the church. I spoke that word and have since received confirmation that those specific chains were indeed broken during the worship service.

That's the power of worship. It's not a song, or a style, or a singer. It's God rushing into an atmosphere that is saturated with His praise. As Hebrews 2:12 says, Jesus, our brother, even proclaims the name of God in the midst of a worshiping congregation.

According to that Hebrews reference, in an atmosphere that welcomes His presence, Jesus walks among those engaged in worship and literally speaks the names of God into our spirit.

Do you need a healing? Worship and He'll speak Jehovah Rapha. Are you stuck in a financial bind? Worship and He'll speak Jehovah Jireh. Are you battling a spirit of intimidation? Worship and He'll speak Jehovah Nissi.

There is incredible power in your outward expression of worship.

How has God used you in a worship service? Have you felt His presence and left the building changed after a time of intense worship and praise?

Sunday Evening Setlist

  • Super Victorious

  • This is how we overcome

  • I Am

  • Break Every Chain

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Joel for allowing the Holy Spirit to lead, guide and direct you. You and ALL your family are such BIG blessings to me. I can't believe I just now am finding "a Kingdom Voice". Thank You Lord for leading me into these blessings!

    ReplyDelete

About me



I'm Joel A. Barker - I'm a worship pastor and soon-to-be church planter. The Church is my passion. This site is the home base for my ministry, featuring thoughts on all things worship, devotion, and the Kingdom. Kick back and stay a while.

Like my Facebook page