October 17, 2013

A Response to John MacArthur's Strange Fire Conference

After a few weeks off to refocus and redesign the site, I've decided to make a brief comeback before the relaunch to address some recent news concerning John MacArthur's Strange Fire Conference.

I am Pentecostal through and through. I was dedicated at 17 days of age in a Pentecostal church. I spent the first eight years of my life in an Independent Pentecostal Holiness church and for the last 23 years I've called the Church of God (Cleveland, Tenn.) organization my tribe.

I want to make it clear from the get-go, however, that the Kingdom of God knows no division. I will continue to worship with many blood-bought, born again Christ-followers regardless of their denomination, creed, or secondary teachings. 

That said, I must address some disheartening statements made these last few days by noted theologian, author, and minister John MacArthur.

MacArthur's conference apparently was birthed out of his yet-to-be-released book Strange Fire: The Danger of Offending the Holy Spirit with Counterfeit Worship. 

It appears that the book has a lot to say about the Pentecostal and Charismatic movements. If MacArthur's opening statements at the conference are any indication, the book will accomplish much in an effort to slander many Christ-exalting men and women.

Part of MacArthur's opening address reportedly included the following statement:
There are a half a billion of professed Charismatics. For some frame of reference, there are a billion Roman Catholics, and 14 million Mormons. So you see that this is a massive issue. And yet, nobody would fault pastors for confronting Mormonism for their false view of God, Christ, and Salvation. 

By many measures, John MacArthur should be considered a pioneer of faith in 21st Century America. Yet, someone as deeply rooted in the Word of God as MacArthur should understand that comparing Pentecostals to Mormons is, at best, laughable.

MacArthur must realize that neither of those enormous religions even gets the essentials right. There's absolutely no comparison here.

MacArthur reportedly continued:
Am I discrediting everyone in the movement? No. I think there are people to desire to worship God in a true way. They're caught up in this as well, though, because intention is not enough. But the movement itself offers nothing to enrich true worship. 

Surely, John MacArthur doesn't view "true worship" as the act of gratitude that Pentecostals exuberantly portray in church every Sunday, right? 

True worship is less what we do on Sunday and more the reflection of the consecrated life we live before our maker throughout the week. True worship has little to do with the tongue-talking, exuberant style of praise you see in most Pentecostal churches.

The Apostle Paul–noted tongue-talker–wrote in Romans 12:1 that we should present our bodies as living sacrifices, holy and acceptable to God which is our reasonable service or our spiritual worship. Any theologian worth his salt will tell you that means living as though we are dead to self and alive to Christ and His ways. That's the essence of true worship–not our joyous style of praise.

If true worship is what we're judging Pentecostals by, my home church alone sacrificially helps around 100 needy families every month with emergency food boxes and has served 250,000 hot meals since 1995 while averaging only 75-80 attendants on a weekly basis. Sounds to me like we know plenty about true worship.

One more MacArthur quote:
The charismatic movement continually dishonors God in its false forms of worship. It dishonors the Father and Son, but most specifically, the Holy Spirit. Many things are attributed to the Holy Spirit that actually dishonor him. In many places in the charismatic movement they are attributing to the Holy Spirit works that have actually been generated by Satan.

Matthew 12:25-26 NIV – "Any kingdom divided against itself is laid waste; and any city or house divided against itself will not stand. If Satan drives out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then can his kingdom stand?"

Jesus said that, by the way.

This is the easiest of MacArthur's statements to refute. By far.

By MacArthur's own admission, Pentecostalism is the fastest growing movement on the planet. People are coming to Christ in droves all across the world in Charismatic services. The unmistakable tug of the spirit is active in our services and sermons.

Why would Satan be so ignorant as to generate a movement that is leading literal millions of people to Christ?

Half-a-billion people worldwide consider themselves a part of this movement. That makes Pentecostalism one of the top Christ-essential protestant movements ever.

Yet, instead of applauding the efforts of countless men and women–pastors, teachers, and missionaries–for making such a vast difference for the Kingdom of God, John MacArthur has attacked us.

It is not my intention to attack or rebut cessationalists with this post. I refuse to debate cessationism vs. continualism in this space.

My contention here is John MacArthur's reckless, arrogant, and irresponsible actions at this conference.

Strange Fire has become a three-day Pentecostalism bash-fest. I find that incredibly detrimental to the Kingdom of God.

I'll be the first to admit, there is some "strange fire" out there. I've been witness to plenty of it during my 31 years. But using the fringe to color the full canvas makes a horribly disfigured painting.

I am thankful for many in mainstream protestantism that have stood with Pentecostals during these last few days. The unity you've portrayed in the face of unprovoked attack on an integral part of the body of Christ is encouraging.

I won't hold out hope for an apology from John MacArthur. But in the interest of the Kingdom, I'm praying he does so.

15 comments:

  1. "I won’t hold out hope for an apology from John MacArthur. But in the interest of the Kingdom, I’m praying he does so."


    That cant happen, even if God Himself appeared to Pastor MacArthur in person. It is impossible he will ever apologies. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid you are correct.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must take issue with your assessment here. You say that that there are many many people coming to Christ as a result of the charismatic/Pentecostal movement, but I would venture to say this is not the case. There are many many people becoming followers and subscribers to the movement, but do they truly understand the gospel, and who Christ is? So much of the teaching that captivates so many people is not the true gospel at all, but the ever popular prosperity gospel.

    Now I know there are some Pentecostal/charismatics who preach the truth (John Piper, Wayne Grudem, Sam Storms) but I would venture to say that they are the fringe, and it is the mainstream non-Christocentric gospel that the millions are following after.

    Regarding your comment about true worship, I grant you that "pure and undefiled is...to visit orphans and widows in their distress" (Jas. 1:27), but simply doing helpful things for people is not going to get them to heaven. Our good works must be accompanied by the true gospel, as difficult as that may be.

    I appreciate your concern, but I ask you to evaluate the message that mainstream charismatic/Pentecostal movement is preaching, and consider if it is accurately representing man's state before God, and elevating Christ as the only means for salvation, and proclaiming the Holy Spirit as the One who conforms us to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cast out satan by satan is a tired argument even Jesus faced that I notice those that don't know Jesus intimately use his title Christ. If I addressed you by your title have to wonder how much you know someone Go visit any Charismatic church in your city that has been around a few years this weekend and stop you generalization. Be honest and not sound bites

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bro, I love your sentiment here. I'm a Baptist dude, but I'm appalled at the tone of the conference, the huge number of straw-man arguments, the intellectual arrogance, the outright ignorance and terrible generalizations. It's easy to yell at people with whom we disagree before an angry mob that is bound to "amen" our words. To borrow the words of James, "brethren, these things ought not to be so." And yet, here we are. Sad.


    Keep doing what you're doing Joel!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to understand, that MacArthur (and reformed protestants) in general are saying here, that those who attribute works to the Holy Spirit, which are not his works are blaspheming him. If the works are not of him, they are not Holy, and to attribute non Holy works to God is sin.

    All Christians believe this, and there will certainly be no apology. So, the only question is, are the Charismatics / Pentecostals doing this? His response is that most are, though there are some who may not be. It's certainly something to consider. After all, the scriptures tell us to "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith". We ought not shy away from biblical examination.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Brandon. I appreciate your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been in one of the strongest Pentecostal denominations in the world for most of my life. I've seen countless people healed, delivered, and saved by the power of the Spirit. That's all the proof I really need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I contend that it is not even close to "most" Pentecostals who are in error. Many are out of order and lack organization. But that's a problem we face in the church world as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to a Church of reformed protestants who are out of order and lack organization. I disagree that it's a problem the Church faces as a whole. It could be that you are sensing that within your own church movement?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll respond to the comments on my earlier comment tomorrow, but for now I wanted to give this quotation from MacArthur, regarding how reformed cessationists should respond towards those who hold to most everything we do except one or two, for lack of a better word, minor issues.

    And this was said in the most loving tone:

    I think if we start shutting everybody down who has got one thing they’re not clear on, we’re going to really find ourselves alone. That’s going too far. I have no fear that John [Piper] would ever tamper with anything that is essential to the Christian faith, starting from theology proper all the way through to the return of Christ. He’s going to be faithful to the word as he understands it. I have the same issue with R. C. Sproul. I want to say to him: why are you baptizing babies? Everything else is so clear, and yet there’s that one issue. I fully embrace the range of his commitment and the impact of his ministry. This is where love comes in to embrace faithful men. I know I’m wrong somewhere, and if you can show me where please show me, because I would change. I know somewhere I’m wrong, because none of us has a complete control of all truth. And I hope to have the same charity from them, that I would eagerly extend to them.

    I thinks that's about as close to an apology as anyone could want!

    This is MacArthur's heart, and this is my heart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Im still trying to repent of actually needing God in any real sense, the true follower of Jesus, overcomes, moves on and deals with it. From the cheap seats it is not really very good news, I have been in the corporation for some time, it really is not good news. Never has been and ever will be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. […] Joela Barker: A Response to John MacArthur’s Strange Fire Conference […]

    ReplyDelete
  14. […] RODRIGUEZ: John MacArthur Suffers From Spiritual, Cultural and Theological Myopia Joela Barker: A Response to John MacArthur’s Strange Fire Conference MICHAEL BROWN: A Final Appeal to Pastor MacArthur on the Eve of His 'Strange Fire' Conference […]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. Just wow. A lot of darkness at "Grace" this weekend. Meanwhile, just down the 405, there was a burst of Light and Life at Chuck Smith's memorial paddle out >> http://wp.me/p2KckS-1iX

    ReplyDelete

About me



I'm Joel A. Barker - I'm a worship pastor and soon-to-be church planter. The Church is my passion. This site is the home base for my ministry, featuring thoughts on all things worship, devotion, and the Kingdom. Kick back and stay a while.

Like my Facebook page